25 Life Lessons my Toddler Has Taught Me
Becoming a parent will afford you certain perks, namely free life lessons. By end of year one, most parents are experts at inhaling their food, taking showers under 2.6 seconds and hiding candy. But besides the basic survival skills, there are many life lessons a toddler will teach you even while you aren’t looking.
Here is my list of 25 life lessons my toddler has taught me.
1. Dance- the more often the better and usually in your living room works best.
2. Paint – the messier you get – the uglier your painting looks -the better it makes you feel.
3. Say things right away- if you’re sorry, say it. If you’re happy, say it, if you love someone/thing, say it. And don’t just “say it”, make sure you say it right now.
4. Live in the moment.
5. Make a verbal checklist of things you will do before you visit anyplace. (Grocery store, Target, Canada anyplace really)
6. Do all the things on your checklist.
7. Celebrate birthdays and sing “Happy Birthday” with all your heart – yours, your friends, that little guy in gym class you don’t really know (Hey! the more cupcakes the better)
8. Take time to smell the grass.
9. Notice the little things- the spiders, the bugs, the snails- they are amazing when you look at them up close.
10. Jump in the puddles.
11. Sing together– even if it’s loud and out of tune. Music is too precious to not share.
12. Read books and let them take you far far away from wherever you’re at right now.
13. Read some more.
14. You don’t have to finish what’s on your plate – when you’re done, you’re done!
15. Hugs are indeed magical- there is no age limit on the question “Do you need a hug?”
16. Learn to love colors – the world is full of colors- wear them. And if you want to wear six different colors on the same day- so be it.
17. Go outside- A lot.
18. Ask “Why?” often. Sure it gets annoying, but how else are you gonna learn!
19. Take a nap- the whole world changes after a nap.
20. If you are going to love- love unconditionally- bad hair days, muffin tops and wrinkled jammies; mommy is loved inspite of all the above!
21. Make sure you LOL at least fifteen times a day.
22. If you fall, just get up and try again. And again. And again –until you figure that shit out.
23. Your heart is bigger than you can ever imagine.
24. Time passes/flies/whizzes by- YOU need to slow down.
25. Forgive and move on- If there is one thing a toddler can teach you it is this- Moving on.
Someday when I am all grown up, maybe there will be enough wisdom to write a list of life lessons that I can write for her to return the favor